Our Family Seems a Little Divided on Salads!
I love pasta salad.Â The Chef?Â Not so much.Â He’s really not a fan of salads, period.Â But The Well-Fed Son?Â He takes after me.Â *Smile*Â The Well-Fed Daughter really likes pasta, but I don’t think she’s come to appreciate salads just yet.Â She may end up taking after Daddy on this one.Â Only time will tell.
I started looking for a new pasta salad recipe to try.Â I love my old stand-by.Â It’s a healthy pasta salad recipe, too, but we’ve had it so much I thought it was time to try something new.Â I’m always needing new lunchbox ideas, and pasta salad is an easy lunchbox choice.
“Original” Recipe by Rachel Ray
So when I found a recipe that was labeled as “award winning” and was a Rachel Ray recipe, published on The Gutsy Girl blog, I figured it was bound to be a good recipe for us to try.Â Since we all have food sensitivities, we frequently have to modify recipes, which was the case with this one; although, a couple of the modifications were substitute ingredients for what I did not have on-hand!Â I was really pleased with the end result, so much so that I’d have to put it as a close second to my favorite pasta salad recipe.
The wine vinegar in it I think was too strong a flavor for the kids, but I think in time as their palettes mature, they may come around to it!Â Because of the stronger flavors, if you are eating it as a side dish, you want a milder main dish to balance out the flavors across your meal.
Give it a try and let us know how you like it.
A Healthy Pasta Salad Recipe
Recipe: Spinach Artichoke Pasta Salad
Adapted from Rachel Ray recipe
- 1/2 pound frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts (any size), chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small sweet red onion, chopped
- 1 8-ounce package penne pasta, cooked and drained
- Handful sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, slightly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- pinch of salt
- Combine spinach with artichoke pieces, bell pepper and red onion.
- Add pasta and sun-dried tomatoes to the salad.
- Mix together garlic with lime juice and vinegar.
- Whisk in oil and thyme. Add salt and stir.
- Dress salad and gently toss. Serve or refrigerate.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Copyright Â© The Saturday Evening Pot.